Google+ Followers

Thursday, 4 July 2013

Post editing!

Yay! So my several hour span of editing went well. I'm finding fewer mistakes as I go through, it really is incredible. I have fond memories of being a shit writer and having to constantly correct my stuff. Basic writer aches I'm saying, everyone goes through it. Which is kind of amusing since many authors are said to have large egos. Hell, in Emily's editing course the prof warned her that "People will straight up hate her guts" And it's true, people tend to shit all over their editor.
So when Emily first looked over my manuscript and began picking out grammatical and continuity errors she expected me to freak out and disagree...but I didn't, I was happy that she was catching everything and excited to see my story get moved up to the next level. Emily was shocked to say the least, if you can't tell from my writing, I'm slightly opinionated and I'm this vocal in real life.
Yet in my mind, while Emily was going over errors with me, it felt almost reflective to fight back and try to justify those error....NO THAT IS NOT A REDUNDANT STATEMENT, OR NO! I KNOW HOW TO USE A SEMI COLON (I don't)... which didn't make sense to me, I knew I was logically wrong but my instincts and pride demanded I not take it in the bum with the grammar hammer.
Emily was amused to say the least, explaining that writers tend to view their own writing as their baby, so when someone says its imperfect or lacking, that is like an insult to them directly.
I can relate to that, a few years ago I offered to edit work for a friend, a short story he had done. It was only like 12 or so pages long, I sat down with a pencil but soon myself reaching for the red pen.
God I felt like a douche after, seriously. I had circled near every sentence, correcting things, telling him how to do things, rewriting entire sentences. His work was pretentiously written and cliched, he OFTEN used redundant statements (Ie: I am awesomely good at writing blogs eh?) sticking too many adjectives to a word and the like. Keep in mind, this guy isn't dumb, he's very intelligent. He had just fallen for many of the traps that young writers fall into, myself included back in the day. Perhaps if I get the balls I'll put some of my early writing on here...urgh.
Point is, I am a bad editor. Every writer is bad at editing their own writing most often, and I am definitely an example of that. However, I can still spot my own obvious mistakes, so I'll reread my own writing several times so that I can correct it enough so that it is prepared for others... kind of like running dishes under a tap before you put it in the dishwasher. the later is obviously a superior method, but the former still helps it do its job better. plus nobody likes scraps of shit on their manuscripts left over.
I doubt I could edit anyone else's stuff ever again, hell I get uncomfortable at the idea of looking over unedited works, because I'm afraid I'm a shitty editor and I'll judge it like I did my friend's work previously.

Anyway, point of this was to talk about editing in general! but I have a second topic! every so often while editing I would take breaks to read manga, I got up to date with that manga was talking about earlier, the one where the dude's virginity is at stake because girls want to rape him and the author came up with an awesome and contrived plot to justify his premise.
However, just a few minutes ago, a new chapter of my favorite manga was released: Nisekoi.

Okay, Nisekoi is a shonen romance manga. I remember having an argument a few weeks ago with a friend's girlfriend, she was arguing against the depiction of women in manga. She claimed that all manga depicted women unrealistically and with giant boobs blah blah blah. I countered with the fact that she wasn't a fan of the medium, that her only exposure to anime and manga was likely stereotypical Shonen manga.

Shonen is a term that means like young boy or some shit like that. It is manga that is meant for 12 year old boys but actually has a larger adult following. the most famous example is Dragon Ball...disagree? well fuck you, most people who only know anime in the most casual of senses know about Dragon Ball. Anyway, manga is a medium that takes a long ass time, some release a chapter a week containing about 18 pages, others release a chapter a month with 30 plus pages, it depends on the manga usually. The best example I can think of is Full Metal Alchemist, I bet you've heard of it and if you've watched or read it, you know how awesome it is. that is because it was released a chapter a month for YEARS. point is, series now a days meant for 12 year old boys in Japan have been going on since the early 2000's or late 1990s. so yeah, One Piece (the greatest of all shonen mangas) Fairy Tail, Naruto and Bleach are the best examples of modern Shonen.

I explained to this girl that the manga she was exposed to was likely meant for 12 year old boys but actually read by adult men. SO, you can expect lots of fanservice and the misinterpretation of women... that is just the audience. I also told the girl to try reading other types of manga or anime sometime and she would soon notice the difference. Like Shoujo manga which is essentially the opposite, objectifying men with female fantasies... Google Bishonen, DO IT.

Anyway, So why did I have to write all that to talk about Nisekoi? because it is a Shonen romance, which usually consist of a plotline like this: "I AM YOUR AVERAGE JAPANESE TEENAGER, EXCEPT I HAVE NO PERSONALITY, I DO THIS SO THAT YOU THE READER CAN PUT YOURSELF IN MY SHOES WEEEEE, ANYWAY BECAUSE I HAVE NO PERSONALITY I'M SURROUNDED BY 5 BEAUTIFUL GIRLS ALL VYING FOR MY ATTENTION, THEY ARE ALL PERFECT AND VIRGINAL AND THEY WANT ME, YET I'M TOO NICE TO PICK JUST ONE OF THEM SO I LEAD THEM ALONG FOREVER. YES THERE IS FANSERVICE BUT BECAUSE THESE GIRLS ARE PERFECT AND NOT SLUTS, WE GET INTO ACCIDENTAL SITUATIONS THAT INVOLVE ME SEEING THEIR PANTIES.

Yeah, doesn't sound very high brow does it? how does the author switch things up? WELL...they add a gimmick usually, this can involve something like...I unno, one of the girls is an alien or a ghost and shit. hell that manga I keep bringing up is a typical romance where the main character loves a girl but finds himself almost constantly raped by other girls.

So after all I just told you, what makes Nisekoi different? not a whole lot actually! Nisekoi is KNOWN for having all the same harem/romance tropes we have come to loathe, except...it plays them for humor, it knows its audience and takes a very different direction with the same crap we've seen over and over again.

the strongest thing is the main character, he is actually interesting. He is kind of everymany in looks, but at the same time he has a definite personality, quirks and a backstory, also he has goals and a girl he definitely likes.  In fact he straight up tells the other girls in his harem to leave him the fuck alone... but contrived circumstances and... ANYWAY
the second best thing about this manga is the art. the guy who draws this, KNOWS how to draw beautiful women, look at this for an example:




HOLY SHIT, this dude can draw girls. Notice the fact that she actually has a distinct face, features and body type, she doesn't have gigantic boobs and her clothes are faaaantastic. That being said, other girls in the series are equally well drawn and look different, not just with different hair like a lot of other artists.

Yes, I collect random pages from manga... I like the art... perhaps I'll share my collections another time.

anyways, I need to pick up Charlotte from work.
I'll do a rant on sexism in Manga another time, as well as show more images from other mangas.
Also, Nisekoi is getting an anime! done by Shaft, this is excellent news.
TOODLES.

No comments:

Post a Comment